Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy 11 week Birthday Kalia!

This week was a big one for Kalia!  This week, she :

  • went to the beach for the first time.  We took her down to Honeymoon Island early in the morning.  She actually napped in her death seat (aka car seat) down on the beach, which was amazing!!  She wasn't quite sure what to think about the water and the sand.  We had a mix of smiles and seriousness, and a few minor freak out moments, but overall she did really well!  She came home and slept for 2 1/2 hours without waking up once.  That's amazing!
  • moved into her crib in her nursery.  We left her in her pack n play for one night, and then started doing naps and bedtime in the crib.  She sleeps better there.
  • resumed nap times.  Woo Hoo!  She might be going through a growth spurt though because she seems to nap an awful lot.  She only makes it an hour and a half before needing to go to sleep again.  And she goes from being completely happy and giggly to throwing a full out fit telling me to put her to bed right this very second!  The only good part about all of that is that she throws her fit until I get her swaddle on her, but as soon as she's swaddled, she stops crying.  It used to be the other way around!
  • started seeing us.  Not just looking at us, but seeing us.  She'll 'talk' to us and look us straight in the eyes.  If she's upset, and we can get her to look at us in the eyes, we can calm her down pretty easily.
  • still talks up a storm!  She's so cute with it...she'll look at you right in the eyes and go on and on and on and then wait for your reaction.  She smiles A LOT this way too.  The only bad part here is that she gets frustrated if she's talking to you now and you don't look at her in her eyes.  Why is this bad?  You'll see with the photos below.  She was annoyed that I had the big black thing in my face and let me know about it!
  • took a bath in our big bath with me.  She loved playing around and splashing in the water.  She's down to pretty much only pooping once or twice a day, and on a regular schedule, so I just avoided those times to hop in the tub with her!
  • got in the pool for the first time.  Unfortunately it had rained, so it was a bit cold and we couldn't take her in there for more than a few minutes.  She was very interested and curious about it all...but did not like when her furry brother ran up the steps after swimming and decided to spray water all over her!
  • started having a third type of cry.  Previously, she had a loud cry, and a crazy cry.  Now she has a fake "I don't like what's going on here" cry.  She'll fuss or do the fake cry at me when she's talking sometimes and then lean her head forward, open her eyes wide, and look to see how I'm going to react.  I laugh!
  • did better with tummy time this week thanks to the toy Granny sent, but still hates it.  We do at least two five minute sessions a day, with a goal of three.   By the end of the five minutes, she's over it!
  • started reaching for things.  She doesn't do it all of the time, and isn't all that coordinated with it yet, but she's started reaching for some of her toys.  It's really cool to see how much she's growing!
  • did really well at volleyball!  She needed to take a nap now about 20 minutes before we were leaving, so we just took her in her car seat swaddled up (she stayed sleeping - yay for silent car ride!) and then drove up to volleyball.  We showed up 3 minutes before game time started, and I ran in the bathroom and latched her on for those three minutes and then took her off and told her sorry, I hoped it held her over the games - and it did!!  She actually did pretty well on the car ride home from volleyball too.  We're working with her on 'recovering' from her freak outs.  I know it sounds odd, but I swear she understands it.
  • is still a drool machine that wants to eat her fists constantly.  The only reason she doesn't have them in there 24/7 is because she likes to talk without them in there...she can say more that way!
  • put herself back to sleep at naptime.  Normally I go in there and put her back to sleep, but I just let her lay in there and watched on the monitor and after about 40 minutes, she was back out.  She didn't cry at all, she just cooed at herself until she fell back asleep.
  • kicked around in her crib so much that she turned herself completely sideways.  I'm guessing we're quickly outgrowing the swaddle, which makes me super sad.  She has no idea how to relax her arms and legs.  I've tried giving her both arms out, and just one arm out, and she can't stop moving them.
I've been working on letting her put herself back to sleep the past few days, but I think I'm only going to try that for one nap.  Otherwise, it seems that she's in bed all day long!!  She also isn't as well rested.  Between not being so well rested for today's photo shoot and being mad at me for having the camera in front of my face so she couldn't see my eyes, Kalia doesn't have too many smiley photo's this week.  I'll post bonus pictures so you can see the cute dimples though!

"Mommy, if you move that camera, I'll smile."

"Here, let me help you.  Hand me the camera."
"Do you not hear the words that are coming out of my mouth?!"
"Move it.out.of.the way.  Camera off your face!"
"Sigh...Mommy, you just don't get it.
"I'm eating my hands while I'm waiting..."
"I'm serious Mommy, move the big black thing and I'll smile.  Not until then though!"
"Not looking!!!"

"Mommy, move the camera!!!"

I kept trying to move my face to the side and get Kalia to look at me.  She did smile that way, but I couldn't get a picture that wasn't blurry or half chopped off!  Maybe next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment